Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Creating a new habit

So it isn't easy to make a new habit. We all know that habits are important, we can see that by the countless memorable quotes on habit like:
  • Quality is not an act, it is a habit. ...
  • Make it a habit to tell people thank you. ...
  • Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired. ...
  • If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. ...
  • We are what we repeatedly do.
Recently I have been thinking a lot about habits and how small changes in my routine have given me such large results. Also how changes I am putting off are causing me to fall behind. Can you relate?

We are developed and largely controlled by the habits we keep. If we do not create good habits we will find we have bad ones in their place.

Okay so why have I been thinking about this so much. It's because I have so much I want to do with my life. As I know you probably do too. However the biggest obstacle is always time. So the first step I needed to take was to reclaim my time.

The biggest user of my time as for most people was to earn a living. I fixed that problem three years ago when I started to freelance instead of working full-time. But, I was left with a void. Where before my life revolved around work, suddenly my work became flexible. I had a hundred an one options on how to spend my time after making my working life more efficient and flexible. The result was my life became a disorganised mess. Have you ever experienced this?

It took time to adjust to my new life away from the 9-5. I understand why some people never leave it, just because they are so comfortable having somebody else organise the majority of their lives. I can say it was worth it though.

-I now have time for 2 work outs a day, and I do them

-I have time to take my son to school and pick him up

-I have some quality family time everyday

-I have time to write, read and discuss with friends and acquaintances

-I arrange my own holidays, and as my wife is also a sole trader we can match our schedules

-I have a few hours each day for study

-I can get 8 hours of sleep a day

All of the above may seem overly simple and not that amazing. But you would be suprised how many people will read the above as "bragging" because sadly such activities have become luxuries for most people nowadays. But why? Why do we have to trade all the things that build us up as human beings, just to put bread on the table. Or is it for more than bread alone?

It's through prioritisation and habits that we can regain control of our own lives. Keep everything balanced, according to our own personality and needs.

The latest new habit I need to make is daily Spanish practise. Hopefully I can do most of this with a native speaker. I know it is going to be hard but just like all the other habits I have made, once I get used to it I am going to see amazing changes.

What is a habit you would like to make?

Do you have time to introduce new habits into your schedule?

Have you had similar experiences to me?

I'm looking forward to the discussion!



-Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment